I had a disputed payment on my credit card with a bank and had stopped using it about 15-20 years ago.

I have other cards that I use.

I recently applied for a credit card and when they checked my CIBIL score I discovered that the card is still shown as 'active' in my CIBIL score with a 'written off' status.

How do I resolve this?
You need to raise a dispute with CIBIL via this link https://www.cibil.com/consumer-dispute-resolution or directly approach the concerned credit institution.

Suppose the concerned credit institution does not resolve the dispute filed on CIBIL site, within 30 days. In that case, CIBIL uses an automated process where a daily reminder is sent to the bank / CI until the dispute is resolved.

Further, if you are not satisfied with the dispute resolution, you can contact the concerned credit institution directly. Alternatively, you can again initiate a dispute request with CIBIL, which will re-verify it with the relevant credit institution and update its records accordingly.
Our Experts

Sucheta Dalal Trustee - Moneylife Foundation

Abhay Datar Abhay Datar is a consumer activist. After working at Bank of Baroda for about 29 years, he retired as IT Manager. After retirement, Mr Datar joined Consumer Guidance Cell of Mumbai Grahak Panchayat (MGP) in 2008 and solved many cases related to banking including online fraudulent transactions, misuse of credit cards and ATM cards. Also handled cases related with mobile banking frauds and mediclaim. He was a Member of the Managing Committee of MGP till March 2021.

Suresh Prabhu Mr Prabhu retired as Senior Vice President from HDFC Bank

R Bhuvaneswari After serving Bank of Baroda for almost 40 years, Ms Bhuvaneshwari retired as Chief Manager in 2013.

Yogesh Sapkale Yogesh Sapkale is Deputy Editor of Moneylife and writes on finance, credit related issues

Your question will be published directly on the site. Please do not enter any personal details like name, mobile number, email id etc.

To ask a question

Sign Up or Sign In
than you