I worked abroad for 2 1/2 years . Now, I have returned to India. Am i supposed to pay tax or file return for the past 3 yrs when i worked outside India.Also, will there be any tax implications before converting my NRE account to Domestic savings account..
The residential status for Income Tax and FEMA is different. For a person returning to India after many years, it is bit complicated for first few years. You need to take professional help for that.

Income tax return filing is required if your income is more than Rs2.5 lakh from sources in India even if you are an NRI.
Our Experts

Ameet Patel Ameet N Patel is a chartered accountant and former President of Bombay Chartered Accountants Society - BCAS

Subodh Shah CA Subodh Shah is a Fellow Member of the ICAI. A merit ranker throughout his career, he stood 3rd in CA Intermediate and 17th in CA Final. In addition he also got the prize of ICAI for scoring the highest marks in Direct Taxes at CA Final. He is practicing Chartered Accountant as well as a teacher for over 20 years.

Ameya Kunte Ameya Kunte is a Tax Professional, Chartered Accountant & Co-founder - Taxsutra.com

Nikhil Vadia CISA qualified Nikhil Vadia is a Chartered Accountant in practice since 1997

Vaibhav Sankla Vaibhav is a member of the board of directors of H&R Block India and is responsible for strategy and business development.

Yogesh Sapkale Yogesh Sapkale is Deputy Editor of Moneylife and writes on financial and tax related issues

To ask a question

Sign Up or Sign In
than you