SAT upholds SEBI order against Ranbaxy’s independent director
SAT upheld charges of insider trading against VK Kaul, a former independent director of Ranbaxy, and his wife Bala Kaul
The Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) on Monday upheld charges levied by the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) against VK Kaul, an ex-independent director of Ranbaxy Laboratories, and his wife Bala Kaul. SEBI had alleged that Kaul, on behalf of his wife bought and sold Ranbaxy shares when he had knowledge that the pharma company’s unit Solrex was in the process of buying shares in Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceutical (OCPL). While VK Kaul has been fined Rs50 lakh, Bala Kaul has been fined for Rs10 lakh, in two separate orders.
The regulator had said that Kaul, during 17 March 2008 to 9 April 2008, had provided funds to his wife for trading in the shares of Orchid Chemicals. Kaul was serving as an independent director at the time when his wife bought 35,000 shares of OCPL at Rs131.71 per share on 31 March 2008, closely prior to when Solrex started buying OCPL Shares. Later on 10 April 2008, Kaul sold these shares at Rs219.94 per share.
The Rs200 crore strategic investment by Ranbaxy into OCPL was undoubtedly price sensitive and the information was unpublished when the Kauls traded to gain profits, SEBI had said.
More in Moneylife
11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield +4522 views
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Moneylife Foundation launches Legal Helpline and Resource Centre
- 11 Stocks with High Dividend Yield
- Traffic can be stopped only for President, Vice President and Prime Minister
- “Entrepreneurs should always have a clear vision,” says Meenal Arora
- Sensex, Nifty in a highly bullish mode: Weekly market report
- Does the election expenses limit have any meaning?
- Citrus Check Inns mis-selling holiday package as investment plan?
- Bitcoin exchange First Meta's CEO found dead in Singapore
- Need for immediate crack down on high flying wilful defaulters –Part I
- Sensex, Nifty in a massive rally: Friday closing report
- Sensex, Nifty close at all time high on shrinking CAD: Thursday closing report
- What Really Happened at United Bank of India?
- Is SEBI aware of huge mutual fund upfront commissions?
- QNet: Bombay HC rejects Transview plea to defreeze bank accounts
- QNet fallout? Pushpam Appalanaidu, MD of QuestNet India, arrested
- A Thin Dividing Line: An eye-opener on Indian losses due to tax treaties
- “Ambani ki dukaan Includes Congress-BJP-Media” — Kejriwal
- How RTI activist exposed Pune Div Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh’s land scam
- United Bank’s bulging NPAs: What went wrong?
- Crazy about “corporate governance norms”, SEBI is blind about Geodesic
- Who is 'pepper spray' Rajagopal?
What's your say?
What you said
Thanks for casting your votes! View Previous Polls